So much is being said about green tea and its endless health properties that you may have wondered if it´s all about marketing, just a fashion or if it´s really a healthy beverage to have.
The truth is that there are a lot of medical studies that have talked about the benefits of green tea for health but in this article we will focus mainly on the benefits of green tea for the skin.
Benefits of Green Tea for the Skin
Green Tea has strong antioxidant properties and therefore it is very beneficial for the skin. The substances that are responsible for the antioxidant properties of green tea are polyphenols, which are mostly catechins.
One of the main catechins of green tea is the epigallocatechin galate (EGCG) which also functions as an anti-inflammatory agent.
As an antioxidant, green tea has the ability to prevent premature aging and help keep the skin radiant and healthy. But let´s see more specifically how green tea can benefit the skin:
- As a strong antioxidant, green tea rejuvenates the skin cells by protecting them against oxidative stress or in other words the damage that free radicals can afflict to the skin. The protection against free radical damage keeps skin younger and with less visible wrinkles while it also prevents aging prematurely.
- It works as an anti-inflammatory agent and therefore it is good for sensitive skin, making it more resistant and reducing redness in cases of irritation or prone to rosacea skin. In addition, products that contain green tea are good for soothing the skin and keeping it better protected against negative environmental conditions.
- As an anti-inflammatory ingredient, it helps fight acne. The catechins of green tea have antibacterial power and can also balance overactive hormones which is one of the causes of acne.
- It Improves psoriasis and dandruff conditions. This is also due to its anti-inflammatory and anti-bacterial properties.
- Green tea extract is very effective in reducing the severity of the adverse effects of excessive exposure to ultraviolet sun rays and therefore topical application of skin care products containing green tea is good for getting some protection against sunburns and skin damage.
- Due to its antioxidant and skin protective properties, it can be helpful in preventing skin cancer. Catechins have the ability to slow down and neutralize the cellular oxidation caused by free radicals, which is the main cause of skin cancer.
Uses of Green Tea in Skin Care
Green tea is used in many skin care products due to its antioxidant and skin protective abilities. This is a natural ingredient that is beneficial for skin aging as well as skin blemishes so you will have possibly seen it included in facial creams and moisturizers.
In addition, green tea tonics and green tea face masks are also used for prone to acne types of skin. These masks can keep your skin moisturized, smooth, clean and bright. Also, green tea scrubs are good for rejuvenating the skin.
The ideal way to benefit from the health properties of green tea for the skin is to enjoy green tea as a beverage and preferably without using any sugar as well as use quality skin care products that contain green tea among other healthy and effective skin care ingredients.
In conclusion, green tea is surely beneficial for the skin and has other valuable benefits for our health in general.