Many users who have switched from electric shavers to safety razors, decide to take their shaving experience a step further and try to get an even closer and better shave with a straight razor.
However, beginning straight razor users don’t want to pay the expense for a dedicated straight razor without first knowing if this type of shaving is something they will enjoy, so they choose a less expensive straight razor handle, called shavette that can be fitted with a single edge razor blade that performs like a regular straight razor without the need for sharpening the razor with a strop.
You must also bear in mind that the razor alone cannot work best unless you prepare your skin first with a good quality shaving brush and a cream or foam of your preference.
The Parker company is known for making good quality, affordable razors so here, we are having a Parker straight razor review.
Table of Contents - Click To Jump Ahead
Parker SRB Straight Edge Barber Razor and Five Shark Stainless Blades
The Parker SRB straight edge barber razor is an extremely affordable straight razor handle or shavette that is perfect for first time straight razor users and those on a budget. Features of this razor include:
- Professional quality, stainless steel blade arm and ivory plastic handle.
- Snap/Lock blade holder holds the blade securely in place.
- Round exposure at the end of the blade compartment helps to minimize nicks and cuts.
- Comes with 5 Shark half blades and is suitable for use with barber single razor blades.
Not only is this razor extremely budget friendly but you don’t have to worry about time consuming maintenance with this or the other Parker Straight razors as you can simply remove the razor blade, rinse and dry the razor and then put a new sharp blade back in.
Reviews for the Parker SRB Straight Edge Barber Razor are good with the vast majority of users really liking the modern take on the straight edge razor.
There are also some people who felt that it is flimsy and that the blades do not sit securely in the blade area, but most users didn´t find these problems and thought this razor is ideal for:
- First Time Straight Edge Users- A number of men who had some experience with straight razors as well as those who are beginners at using this type of razor did feel this is a good starter straight razor.
- Traveling- Several people stated they used this razor for traveling, which makes sense as it folds up small and takes up limited room in luggage.
- Helps to Reduce Those Ingrown Hairs- A couple of users felt that they had less ingrown hairs when using it.
- Works For Cutting and Shaping Hair- Some men bought this razor not to shave with, but rather to cut their hair with and found it ideal for this use.
Parker SRW Stainless Steel Straight Edge Barber Razor and 100 Shark Super Stainless Steel Blades
The Parker SRW stainless Steel Straight Edge barber razor is another budget conscious straight razor handle that uses disposal single edge razor blades. Let’s look at its features:
- Stainless Steel arm and plastic handle.
- Rounded end Exposure minimizes nicks and cuts.
- Excellent weight and balance.
- Snap lock blade holder.
- Accepts barber single edge blades or half double edge blades.
- Comes with 100 half Sharp Blades.
This is a version of Parker’s inexpensive straight edge razor handle or shavette. It has some nice features like the rounded end exposure and the stainless steel blade arm, and comes with a 100 half Sharp blades so that you can have months worth of shaves for this one low price.
Users give this Parker Straight razor good reviews although some users complained that the plastic handle makes it look cheap and that the razor was too light to allow it to glide like straight razors are supposed to do, resulting in unnecessary nicks and cuts.
However, the majority of people didn’t have any problem using it and found that this razor:
- Holds the Blades securely in place- Users didn’t have to worry about the blade wobblying while they were shaving since the snap/lock system held the blade securely, allowing for a smooth straight razor shave.
- Easy to Use- This razor was easy to use once you got used to stretching the skin taut with the opposite hand, lathering those whiskers up good and holding the razor at the right angle for this kind of shaving.
- Makes Shaving fun- Several men commented that they enjoyed using it and a few said that using this straight edge razor made shaving fun.
Parker PTW Push Type Blade Load Straight Edge Barber/Shavette Razor with Stainless Steel Blade Arm
The Parker Push Type Blade Load Straight Edge razor is an easy to load shavette with the following features:
- Professional Quality Stainless steel blade arm and plastic handle.
- Removable Stainless Steel blade holder for easy blade insertion and removal.
- Round exposure at the end of the blade compartment minimizes cuts.
- Designed for barbershop use.
- Ivory colored Plastic handle.
For those who don’t like the Parker snap/lock blade holding system, this push blade load may be worth a try. It makes loading and removing the blade simple and easy.
This Parker Straight razor only gets slightly above average reviews. Several users find that it doesn’t hold the blade very securely and that the razor itself is somewhat bulky. However, the majority of men find that they like several things about it including:
- Nice weight- It is nicely weighted, which allows the razor to glide across the skin, cutting down whiskers without needing to apply any pressure.
- Looks Nice- It looks nice without being fancy or adding to the price.
- Uses any Half Blade- Users like the fact that they don’t have to use the Shark blades in this razor, but rather can use ½ of whatever DE blade they prefer.
These inexpensive straight razor handles or Shavettes are perfect for the man who wants to experience shaving with a straight razor without paying the price for a dedicated straight razor and the sharpening strop.