The Philips Norelco 1150X SensoTouch 2D Electric Razor combines a water resistant and durable, yet easy to hold design with excellent razor blades.
The excellence of the blades arises out of two technologies – SkinGlide and Gyroflex 2D. Put simply, the latter follows the contours of your skin while the former glides gently over your skin while cutting large and small hairs with equal thoroughness.
It has an excellent usage time of 40 minutes per full charge, which allows you to shave for days on end without needing to plug in the charger.
Table of Contents - Click To Jump Ahead
I decided to share my thoughts through this detailed review of the Philips Norelco 1150X SensoTouch 2D Electric Razor. We will be talking about all the features and it´s good and not so good points from my point of view as well what the customers are talking about.
- Light, easy to hold body with waterproofing.
- Gyroflex 2D technology follows the contours of the skin, allowing uniform and thorough shaving without application of excess pressure.
- DualPrecision blades which can shave the smallest stubble, and slots for cutting hairs of normal length.
- Blades are also provided with curved edges to ensure better adaptability to the skin surface.
- SkinGlide system allows smooth shaving along the skin surface without excess friction, and hence, irritation.
- Super Lift&Cut technology raises up the hairs so as to provide better access to the blades below the normal skin level.
- AquaTec Seal makes sure that you can shave using water/gel whenever you like without damaging your razor.
- Contains special hair collection chamber for a shave that keeps the bathroom clean at all times.
- Up to 40 minutes of uninterrupted shaving per full charge of the battery.
Preparing Philips Norelco 1150X SensoTouch 2D Electric Razor For First Use
Having gone through the highly useful features of the appliance, it is now time to learn how to actually use the device. Before you begin usage, however, it is advisable to follow a few steps to ensure that your appliance is in working condition and to avoid any potential mishaps.
- Once you have taken the Philips Norelco 1150X SensoTouch 2D Electric Razor out of its casing, check that the box contains:
- A charging stand
- Protective cap
- Power cord
- Cleaning brush
- Remove any stickers or protective tape that may be present on the surface of the razor, since these may hinder the functioning of the razor later.
- Now make sure that the razor is turned off (in case you turned it on at some point). Now it must be charged to be rendered functional.
- Attach the power cord to the charging station, and plug it into an AC power outlet. Ensure that the charging station from hereon is not in contact with water or any other fluids.
- Place the razor into the charging station till it has fitted snugly into the charging holder. The charging contacts that flank the razor on each side are firmly placed inside the holder.
- If the above procedure has been correctly followed, the razor will start charging immediately. The LED indicator on the body of the charger will reflect this status.
- Keep the charger on for at least one hour after plugging it in for the first time. One full hour of charge should give you 40 minutes of shaving time.
Note 1 : The charging station can handle between 110V and 240V. However, my experience with travelling in foreign countries has taught me that you need an adapter in some regions.
These will convert the native voltage into something in the 110V to 240V range. Improper usage can lead to damage and risk of fire, so you must always check with the staff of your hotel/guest house, before plugging in the charging plug directly.
On the other hand, if your power cord is damaged or otherwise unusable, do not use any that fits into the slot, since these may damage the device.
Note 2 : Given the shortage of time we have, it may not be convenient to charge for an hour everyday. A 3-4 minute charge gives enough power for a shave of equal duration. However, this emergency procedure should not be used day after day since the battery needs to be regularly charged and drained fully.
Shaving with the Norelco 1150X SensoTouch Electric Shaver
The electric razor is now ready to begin work. Remove the appliance from the charging station and keep the latter safely away. You now have the option of either shaving without a water/foam, or with it. For sake of convenience, we shall call the former dry shaving and the latter wet shaving.
1. Turn the razor on by pressing the “On/Off” button.
2. If you have sensitive skin, it is best to shave along the grain of the hair so as to minimize chances of abrasion and irritation. If not, shave against the grain to get a more thorough and clean shave.
3. While shaving, use the other hand to raise the skin slightly, such that the razor’s floating heads can access the hair with greater ease.
4. Move the razor in both straight and in circular motions.
5. Clean the razor (see below) and place the protective cap to keep the razor safe.
6. Turn on the razor and apply shaving gel/foam to the shaving area.
7. Shave against the grain of the hair using circular motions.
8. As hairs collect in the blades, clean them regularly by holding under the tap. The Philips Norelco 1150X SensoTouch 2D Electric Razor is water proof so this can be done even when the razor is running.
9. Once done, wipe your face and replace the protective cap.
Note – It may take a few weeks to get used to the razor. Initially there may be irritation and uneven cutting, but as one hones their procedure through practice, this is eliminated. Given that any electric razor or safety razor for that matter demands a certain period of trial, I would suggest that you persevere with the razor for the first few weeks, and only consider altering the razor if by week three you have not got a satisfactory shave.
Though this is not a compulsory work, locking the electric razor when traveling or otherwise not using it for long periods is advisable. To initiate Travel Lock,
- Press and hold the On/Off button for about three seconds.
- The lock indicator will come on, telling you that your device is now locked and therefore unusable.
- Press the On/Off button again for three seconds to deactivate the lock.
Note – During charging, the travel lock automatically deactivates.
Settings and indicators
The Philips Norelco 1150X SensoTouch 2D Electric Razor comes with a simple indicator system which is composed of:
- On/Off button.
- Lock indicator.
- Plug-in” indicator
- Battery indicator
The behavior of these buttons is as follows:
1. When the razor is turned off, the plug in indicator blinks a few times, before shutting down.
2. When there is little charge left in the battery, the plug in symbol will start blinking.
3. The lock symbol glows when the appliance is in locked mode.
4. Battery level is calculated based on the amount of power consumed every minute of shaving, and this is reflected in the battery indicator.
Getting a good shave is great, but you do want to receive great shaves day after day for years right ? To do so, proper maintenance of your razor is needed. Maintenance primarily consists of cleaning your razor regularly and replacing the blades once a year.
1. Turn on the hot water tap and run hot water over the blades for sometime.
2. Pull the razor head off the lower portion of the razor and hold the razor head under hot water for sometime.
3. Replace the razor head by pressing down firmly on it.
Note – Simple cleaning can also be done by using the cleaning brush provided with the product.
1. Pull the razor head off the lower portion of the razor.
2. You will find a “retaining frame” beneath. Move the retaining frame in the direction indicated by the arrows marked on it.
3. Gently raise and remove the retaining frame.
4. Take the cutter out of the comb.
5. Use the brush to clean out the comb and cutter.
6. Once clean, replace the cutter inside its comb in a manner which ensures that the cutter legs are pointing downwards.
7. Carry out the same procedure for the other two cutter/comb pairs.
8. Return the retaining frame and reattach it.
9. Replace the shaving head on the lower part of the razor frame.
Note – It is highly tempting to remove all three cutters at once, but this increases the risk of mismatch. Since the Philips Norelco 1150X SensoTouch 2D Electric Razor is precision made, this can cause the quality of the shave to deteriorate.
Replacing the razors
In my experience, the razor blades are long lasting and tend to require annual replacement. However, if you find at any point the quality of the shave deteriorating even when the razor is clean, you should explore the option of having your razor blades replaced.
- Remove the shaving head as indicated above.
- Use a Philips Norelco RQ11 razor head only. Use of any other razor head with the Philips Norelco 1150X can cause malfunction.
- Place the razor head carefully onto the lower section and attach it firmly into place.
It is extremely light and small and is therefore easy to carry around when you need to go travelling. The exact dimensions of the device are 1.2 x 1.2 x 6.2 inches. Its shipping weight is only 1.2 pounds.
Philips Norelco offers a full two year warranty on the product. In case you are unable to get a good shave within 21 days of beginning usage, you can return the product to the company and they will proceed to issue a full refund. Such claims however have to be made within 45 days of the purchase.
- Light and portable.
- Easy to handle, water resistant body.
- Curved shaving heads offer a thorough shave.
- Gyroflex 2D, SkinGlide technology ensure rapid yet smooth shave.
- Long lasting shaving head ensures no additional costs.
- Can be used with water/foam.
- Easy and cheap to maintain.
- Few more color options would have provided more choice to customers.
At the time of writing this review, the Philips Norelco 1150X SensoTouch 2D Electric Razor is offered by Amazon for a decent price for under $100.00. To sweeten the deal further, Amazon is currently offering the appliance at a very good discount.
This electric razor follows your skin contours so that equal pressure is applied on all areas. To these we can add the benefits of easy maintenance and annual replacement of blades. Taken together, the Philips Norelco 1150X SensoTouch 2D Electric Razor offers excellent value to anyone who needs to be well groomed while on the move.