While dry and brittle hair is a common problem especially in women, oily hair is commonly found more in men rather than women.
One of the reasons is because women tend to be more regular in applying treatments to the hair which reduce the fat.
It is also more common in young people.
Such a condition can be worrying since the hair tends to weigh more so that more frequent washing is required to give the person a well groomed look.
It’s important to mention here that the problem of oiliness is not so much on the hair but on the scalp which secrets more fat than normal, often leading to dandruff. The fat is released through the hair follicles which gives the impression of oily hair. That is why in order to solve dandruff problem, we must regulate the sebum so that we catch the problem from its routes.
There are different reasons to have an excess of sebum. One of the most common causes is excess of testosterone which can cause abundant fat. In some cases, this condition can also lead to loss of hair. Other causes can also be nervousness, stress or autoimmune problems.
Table of Contents - Click To Jump Ahead
Therapy for Dandruff
In order to eliminate dandruff, you have to use shampoos which are specifically formulated to restore the cycle of skin regeneration and treat the fungus. They must contain one or two active ingredients which have proven effective, such as salicylic acid, tar, sulfur, zinc, selenium, ketoconazole or ciclopir oxolamine.
The anti-dandruff shampoo should be used every day, at least for a week, for you to start seeing some results and preferably after consulting a dermatologist. Some of these products have an unpleasant odor but this should not put you off from using it regularly since you have to remember that you are treating a problem.
Dandruff can be difficult to get rid of at times and you may find that even when it disappears, it may come back periodically. However, long and continuous use of these special products should be avoided as they may cause some irritation. It is best to use them when you see the dandruff appearing.
How To Use an Anti-Dandruff Shampoo
Here is a summary of the suggested steps when using a dandruff shampoo:
- Never forget to read the specific product instructions you decide to use since some of them may have special instructions.
- If scalp irritation occurs using the shampoo, you should immediately discontinue its use and consult your doctor.
- When washing, leave the shampoo in the hair for a few minutes for it to work.
- When you finish bathing, remove the moisture from the hair with a towel. If you need to dry completely, use a hair dryer but never at its maximum temperature. If you let it dry naturally, it will take longer but it will not aggravate your problem.
- Do not stop treatment abruptly, be consistent in the use of shampoo and use it until the dandruff is completely gone. Most of these products need a reasonable time (minimum seven days) to solve the problem.
- When dandruff disappears, use the dandruff shampoo once a week to keep the problem under control and prevent it from coming back.
Additional Steps to Prevent and Get Rid of Dandruff
- Balance your food, avoid fats as well as fried and spicy foods for a few days.
- Some doctors advise diets rich in vitamins A and B.
- Consumption of seafood, red meat, peanuts and sunflower seeds are also suggested to counteract the lack of zinc, which is another cause of this condition.
- If you have very dry hair, you can consume essential fatty acids, found in fish like salmon, sardines, herring and trout.
- Avoid using gel or any other cosmetic product until the dandruff is completely gone.
- Do not apply cologne or perfume on your hair, because these products contain alcohol and will dry your scalp.
- Take two liters of water daily.
- Wash your brushes and combs frequently.
In conclusion, these were some tips to get rid of dandruff but keep in mind that if dandruff does not yield to these measures, it is necessary to visit a dermatologist for more specialized treatment. Finally, remember that this problem may occur again with the passage of time, but by taking a little extra care, you may be able to prevent it.