Looking For The Best Synthetic Shaving Brushes?
Not everyone who uses a shaving brush wants to use one made from animal hair, as animal lovers, vegans and many vegetarians prefer not to use animal by products on their face or other parts of their body.
As a user of synthetic shaving brush, I decided to do a review of some of the top synthetic shaving brushes out there.
So many shaving brush companies, wanting to cater to the needs of all of their potential customers decided to offer synthetic shaving brushes as well as those made from animal hair.
While synthetic bristle brushes are often considered less desirable than those made from animal hair, there are some fine quality brushes on the market at a cost that is extremely affordable.
If you are used to an animal hair brush, you will feel the synthetic brush a bit bouncy as you touch it to your skin but applying a little pressure will give you the same feel as any other brush.
You should also bear in mind that the technology used in making synthetic brushes has advanced a lot in recent years, whereas the animal brushes have and will remain the same since they are made of natural animal hair and not much can be done to enhance their quality.
Table of Contents - Click To Jump Ahead
- 1 Pros and Cons of Synthetic Shaving Brushes
- 2 Parker Synthetic Bristle Shaving Brush Review
- 3 Elite Synthetic Shaving Brush
- 4 The Body Shop Men’s Synthetic Shaving Brush
- 5 Parker Safety Razor Synthetic Bristle Shaving Brush with Blue Wood Handle & Free Stand
- 6 GBS Synthetic Shaving Brush with Black Stand
Pros and Cons of Synthetic Shaving Brushes
Let´s look at some of the advantages and disadvantages of synthetic brushes:
- Quick Drying Time- A synthetic brush will dry within hours as compared to a badger brush which could take a day or so.
- Lather- It will release the lather easier than an animal hair brush.
- Shedding Hair- A good quality synthetic brush will not shed hair.
- Low Maintenance- It practically requires no maintenance and no worries about smell or mold appearing, which can happen in animal hair brushes.
- Inexpensive- It costs less than some of the animal hair brushes, making it affordable.
- Water Retention- Does not retain much water but with the technology advancing rapidly, it is getting better in the area of water and heat retention.
- Poor heat Retention- This can normally be taken care of by using luke warm water.
Here is look at some of these types of brushes.
Parker Synthetic Bristle Shaving Brush Review
The Parker Synthetic Bristle Shaving Brush is made with the same attention to detail that Parker puts into all of their shaving gear.
The features of this brush include:
- All synthetic bristles contain no animal products.
- Fast drying bristles.
- Bristles are soft, perfect for sensitive skin.
- Creates an extraordinary lather.
- Comes with a Lucite brush stand.
- Brush handle is 3.25 inches in circumference.
This Parker shaving brush with synthetic bristles is perfect for people who don’t want to use a shaving brush from animal hair either because of the way the bristles are harvested or because of the animal smell. While, the bristles of this brush aren’t quite as water absorbent as animal hair bristles, they none the less hold a good deal of water and create a nice lather.
Users give this synthetic bristle shaving brush very good ratings and while very few users felt that the bristles of this brush were stiff, the vast majority of users found them to be soft against their face. Other features that users were impressed with are:
Durable- Unlike many other shaving brushes, users found that they lost few if any bristles from this brush even after months of use. The durability of this brush made it an instant favorite of many users.
Thick Lather- Based on remarks on various shaving sites and forums, many users expected to find that a synthetic bristle shaving brush would lack the ability to create a thick lather that an animal bristled brush provides. However, to their delight, they discovered that this brush provides as thick if not thicker lather than many of the reasonably priced animal bristled brushes they have used in the past.
No Animal Smell- One of the side benefits that many users enjoyed was that this brush does not have any animal smell even when used for the first time. For those people who do not enjoy the animal aroma they find with animal hair brushes, this could be a real selling point for this brush!
Elite Synthetic Shaving Brush
Another company that makes a good quality synthetic brush is the Elite Men’s Care Company.
Features of their Elite Synthetic shaving brush include:
- Hand made brush designed to feel like it´s made of badger hair.
- No animal hair.
- Lathers well.
- Gently exfoliates skin while lathering.
- Black wood finish handle.
- 100% money back guarantee.
The Elite synthetic shaving brush not only actually serves to create lather for shaving, but also gently exfoliates those dead skin cells, leaving your face looking healthier and brighter.
This is great for those men who don’t like to spend a lot of time worrying about their masculine complexion.
The Majority of users like the Elite synthetic shaving brush and give it good overall ratings. However, a few users do feel that this brush lacks some of the density of other shaving brushes.
There also seems to be a problem with quality control in the manufacturing of these brushes as several users complain of this brush losing mass amounts of bristles while other users state that the brush loses very few if any bristles.
Benefits that users did find when using it are:
- Lots of thick rich Lather: Despite the fact that some users felt that the bristles on this brush were not as dense as they would like, they still found that the brush provided them a lot of thick, rich lather comparing favorably to animal hair bristled brushes that cost twice as much.
- Dries Quickly: This brush dries extremely quickly, making it ideal for those who travel.
- Exfoliates Well: People also mentioned that this shaving brush did indeed exfoliate their skin well, leaving it feeling fresher and healthier with every shave.
The Body Shop Men’s Synthetic Shaving Brush
The body shop men’s synthetic shaving brush is another shaving brush that is completely free of animal hair bristles and known for its ability to be quick drying. Features of this brush include:
- Synthetic bristles (no animal hair.)
- Wooden handle.
- Handle is short and rounded to fit in the palm of your hand easily.
- Designed to look like a silvertip badger hair shaving brush.
The body shop is known for its animal free shaving and skin care products, so it is somewhat amusing that this company would design a synthetic shaving brush that looks like a silvertip badger hair brush. However, the company does so to make the brush look more attractive while providing an alternative to real animal hair shaving brushes.
While this synthetic brush looks extremely handsome and sells for an extremely low price, users who actually purchased and used it only give it average reviews. The main reasons why ratings aren’t higher is because it loses the majority of its bristles rather quickly.
However when you consider the price, you can afford to buy 4 or 5 of them a year for the price of many animal hair bristle brushes.
Users did however find some benefits which are:
- Great starter Brush for Beginners- Users find that its price and function make this brush a great starter brush for those users who are just trying out wet shaving with a safety razor and don’t want to invest a ton of money into shaving equipment before they decide if they want to continue shaving this way.
- Lathers Well and Dries Quickly- While the brush may not last as long as they like, men find that the brush lathers well and dries quickly, making it a good travel shaving brush.
- Exfoliates the Skin- The bristles are a little stiff, but not overly so, which helps to exfoliate while lathering up. This makes the skin look healthier and brighter after shaving.
Parker Safety Razor Synthetic Bristle Shaving Brush with Blue Wood Handle & Free Stand
Parker, well known for producing quality products, have made this ultra soft Synthetic Brush which comes with a stand. The softness of the brush makes it ideal for those with sensitive skin.
So, let´s see the main features of Parker Safety Razor Synthetic Bristle Shaving Brush with Blue Wood Handle.
- Dries very quickly.
- Soft bristles for guys with sensitive skin.
- Creates lots of lather.
- Best alternative to animal hair brushes.
- Very affordable price.
Whether you are a vegan or not, you ought to give this beauty a try. Don´t let the price mislead you because it is truly a fine quality and stylish brush.
It gets above average reviews with the majority of the users being very happy with the results. The softness of the brush is it´s main winning point as well as producing lather in abundance.
Parker Company has done such a great job in quality that the users reported that one can´t tell the difference if it´s synthetic or animal hair.
Here are some of the benefits which were repeated by many users:
- Soft feel- Not only did they enjoy the softness of the brush but it also helped those with sensitive skin. The bristles are soft and yet firm.
- Rich Lather- The majority were very happy with the quantity of lather it produces with minimum effort.
- Storage stand- The free stand that comes with it is handy and users found it useful.
- No Smell- People who had replaced their animal hair brush with this synthetic brush were pleased that it has no smell.
GBS Synthetic Shaving Brush with Black Stand
GBS Shaving Brush gives the look of an expensive brush at a very economical price. For the quality ,it is certainly one of the lowest priced brushes available.
The bristles are firm but not so soft which can be good for exfoliating. Still, you will find that after a little usage, the bristles do get a little softer. Like most synthetic brushes, this one produces lather generously. Also, the handle has sufficient thickness to give a good grip.
- Lathers Very Well- Users found that it lathers extremely good and some commented that it is better in lathering than the badger silvertip.
- Quality feel- One can feel the quality when using this brush. It feels like a quite solid and well finished product.
- No Bristle Loss- Even after regular use, people found almost no bristle loss which usually occurs in animal hair brushes.
In conclusion, these brushes can provide those people who don’t want to use animal hair shaving brushes with an alternative quality. Given above are some of the top synthetic shaving brushes available in the market today.