My Review Of Best Butterfly Safety Razor
Butterfly razors are simply safety razors that have a two door type opening and are also known as silo razors. A simple twist of the handle and the two doors of the razor blade open in the middle, leaving the razor head looking a bit like a butterfly with wings spread, hence its name.
While the name butterfly may be a bit fanciful, the butterfly opening is not, as it actually makes it easier and safer to seat the blade in the razor. As it´s one piece razor, it is a lot easier to manage unlike its counterparts which are designed with two or three parts.
You should also bear in mind that the mechanism works with hinged plates and it is likely to get stuck if the soap gathers in the hinges. So, some proper care and maintenance is required to clean the razor after use to have a long lasting smooth operation.
Guys with strong and heavy hand should take extra care not to tighten the knob too hard as this can also cause some damage. As with any small mechanical device, if handled gently with proper care, it will give tons of trouble free shaves.
There are so many models with a wide range of prices available in the market. Picking one out of all these can be a difficult and painful task.
So, here is a look at some of the best butterfly razors made today.
Table of Contents - Click To Jump Ahead
Parker 22R-Long Handle Butterfly Double Edge Safety Razor & 5 Shark blades
Parker has always been known for its inexpensive and still very good quality safety razors and the Parker 22R long handle butterfly safety razor no exception. The look of this razor impressed me a lot and I wanted to dig deeper to make sure it performs as good as it looks.
It has just the right weight which makes it easy to use. The head is designed such to give the right angle for a quality barber shop shave.
The razor may feel a little aggressive in the beginning, so just make sure to use suffient cream or foam to soften the skin. Within a few shaves, you will know exactly how much pressure to apply.
Maintaining the correct angle while shaving is the key to getting the best shave. Just try out different angles and you would know when you got it right.
This razor’s features are:
- A longer handle 3.5 inches.
- Butterfly opening door.
- Solid brass frames.
- Comes with 5 shark razor blades.
The Parker 22R long handle razor doesn’t look much different than most of the other razors made by this company. These are popular razors especially among new DE safety razor users simply because they are good quality razors at a budget price.
Users give the Parker 22R extremely good ratings and reviews. While a couple of people commented that the blade doesn’t sit in the head properly without a bit of adjusting, overall men find that this razor meets their needs exceptionally well. Let’s have a look at what people say about it:
- Has A Nice Finish- Several users commented on how nice it looks. The finish makes it look like it is higher end than it actually is.
- Solid Weight- It feels solid in the hand and has a good weight and balance, which helps the razor to perform well.
- Close Shave- Most people find they can get an extremely close shave with little or no irritation when using it.
Parker 96R-Long Handle Butterfly Double Edge Safety Razor & 5 Shark Blades
Another excellent butterfly razor is the Parker 96 R Long Handle butterfly open Double Edge Safety razor.
I particularly like its textured handle since it gives the look and feel of an expensive razor. But don´t let the price mislead you because it works just as well as any good quality razor which may cost you a lot more.
Quite frankly, to get the best shave depends a lot on your choice of blades and applying sufficient amount of shaving cream with the use of a good brush. Once you have completed this process, your shaving experience will be lot more enjoyable and with excellent results.
Features of it include:
- Twist to open Butterfly doors.
- Textured Handles for better grip.
- Brass Frame.
- Comes with 5 shark blades.
- Nickel plated head.
- 3 3/4” inch handle.
The Parker 96R has a slightly longer handle than the 22R and comes with a textured handle, but otherwise it is basically the same razor. However, for some people, these two slightly different features make all the difference.
Like the 22R, the Parker 96 R gets extremely positive ratings and reviews. A few users complained that this razor has blade centering seating issues, which seems to be a repeating theme with this company’s razors.
However, overall this issue seems to make little difference to most users as they find that this razor:
- Provides Good Weight- The weight of a DE razor is important since you don’t want to drag it across your face, but rather let the weight of the razor do the work. Light razors force you to apply pressure to the razor which can result in more knicks and cuts.
- Ease of Changing Blades- Users find that its butterfly opening makes it far easier to change blades.
- No Irritation- This razor shaves close without irritating their skin.
Butterfly Open Double Edge Safety Razor With Mid Aluminum Membrane
This butterfly open double Edge Safety razor seems to be one of those no named brands, that sells for an extremely low price and gets exceptionally good reviews.
It can become a nice economical gift for birthdays and Xmas and its quality can be confirmed by the fact that a large majority of users give it a high ratings.
The price of this razor makes it a real bargain. It can also be used for a daily shaving use, keeping that special more expensive razor for special occasions.
Features of this razor are:
- Metal alloy non-slip handle.
- Butterfly opening.
- Old Fashioned Manuel DE Razor.
- Easy to Clean.
Users give this razor good reviews overall. There are some who do feel it is too light, but most of them don’t seem to view this as a problem, quite possibly because the vast majority of users for this product are new to safety razors and have adjusted to razors requiring a lighter touch. So, let’s see what they think:
- Good for Beginners- Users switching over from cartridge razors tend to drag the razor across their skin, and this lightweight razor is more forgiving for that type of use.
- Well Balanced- Although light, this razor is well balanced between the head and the handle.
Mehaz Double-Edge Safety Razor
Mehaz double Edge safety razor is another Butterfly design which gets very favorable reviews. It is made in Germany by a company also well known for producing quality skincare and haircare products.
What I really like about it is the chrome finish as well as the textured design on the handle. The design will not only give it a nice look but also help you to get a nice grip even with wet hands. The price range is quite affordable and the product itself looks durable enough for a daily use.
It only weighs just over 60 grams and it´s easy to maneuver without feeling any extra weight, so it’s suitable for those lazy mornings.
The only downside I can find though, is for people with large hands as the handle seems to be on the smaller side.
Here are some of its main features.
- Textured handle gives it a good grip.
- Chrome plated.
- Butterfly design makes it easy to replace blade.
- Holds a double edged blade.
What The Reviews Say
The reviews of Mehaz double Edge butterfly safety razor are very impressive with a vast majority of users giving it high ratings.
I went through almost all the reviews on the internet and negative reviews were extremely low in number. Some people felt that it did not give them a close shave and lots of the users commented that it takes a while to know the correct angle of the razor since using it incorrectly may not give you the desired results.
The smaller size of the handle was also a point of concern for a handful of users. If you also use a razor to shave your head, you would want a handle which is little longer. The other way of looking at it would also be that the shorter handle gives you a better control.
What the users like about Mehaz razor:
- Good For Sensitive Skin- A number of people commented that it´s a quite mild and non aggressive razor, making it suitable for users with sensitive skin. You are also less likely to get cuts using it.
- A Great Price- The price factor was a big plus among the users who felt that it does an equally good job compared to some of the lot more expensive razors.
- A close shave- Mehaz razor gives a very close shave and of course it also depends a lot on the type of blades you use. It is far better to go for quality blades which will result in blades lasting you lot longer and getting a real close shave, too. My suggestion would be to try different kinds of blades to see which one suits you best.
- Good weight & Design- Overall, almost all users were very happy with its weight and the sturdy feel. The textured design looks good and gives a good grip. The features of Mehaz butterfly razor make it an equally good safety razor for women, too.
Van Der Hagen Traditional Safety Razor
We are well familiar with the name Van Der Hagen with their products ranging from cover luxury shaving sets and soaps to balms and Van Der Hagen Safety Razor.
In my research, it was clear to see that this safety razor gets above average reviews and ratings.
It is the traditional old school style safety razor which has gained lots of popularity due to the low costs comparing to buying cartridges.
So, let´s see its main features:
- Chrome plate brass finish.
- Butterfly opening.
- Shorter handle for better control.
- Comes with 5 stainless steel blades.
Generally speaking, I have been a user of mainly long handle safety razors and if you are in the same postion, you will need a little bit of getting used to a shorter handle. It is said that shorter handle do give a better control but it´s really a matter of personal choice.
The fact that this razor is made in China should not deter you from looking more into it since you might be pleasantly surprised by its performance. The overhwleming number of reviews with such high ratings says something about the product.
You may also check the Van Der Hagen Shaving kit which comes with a brush, stand, cup and soap so you have everything you need.
It is also well liked by women, so don´t be surprised if one day it disappears from your bathroom cabinet.
What The Users Say about Van Der Hagen Butterfly Safety Razor
There are very few negative comments about this product with one user reporting that the hinge machanism to open and close the razor did not work properly, but judging by so many other reviews, it could be that he ended up with just a bad piece.
I also came across someone who had lots of problems with nicks and cuts while shaving. My question in such situation would be to ask what kind of blades were used because a razor alone cannot perform well unless its blades are of a good quality.
Overall, many users commented positively on its performance and mentioned the following:
- Great product- It was found to be a good buy for both beginners and veterans who commented that it was easy to use and simple to clean.
- Provides A Close Shave- Lots of the people mentioned that it gave them a very close shave without any cuts or irritations.
- Good Price- Compared to many other safety razors, its price is quite affordable and a good saving over cartridge style razors.
- Butterfly Mechanism- The hinges that open and close the meachanism are durable and work very smoothly.
- Quite Sturdy- The product feels good in the hand and comfortable to use.
In conclusion, it´s really a matter of personal preference since some people prefer the butterfly style and others the two piece or three piece razor. Basically, all razors do the same job and the difference is mainly in the design.
So, I would like to repeat my earlier comment that a lot depends on the choice of blades that you make and the best is to try out smaller packs of different types to see which one suits you best.
In general, the best Butterfly razors are those that you feel comfortable handling and give you a clean shave.