Philips Norelco QG3380/42 Multigroom Pro Review
For over 120 years Philips Norelco has been designing, manufacturing and selling men’s grooming products and during that time it has earned a reputation for quality products that help men meet all of their home grooming needs.
The Norelco QG3380/42 is an all-in-one body grooming tool designed to meet all your beard and body grooming needs.
Table of Contents - Click To Jump Ahead
Features of the Norelco QC3380/42 Multigroom Pro
The Philips Norelco QG3380/42 Multigroom Pro comes with a long list of features and we will discuss some of the important ones to see their usefulness as well as others which have given the users a cause for complaints.
Here is a list for a quick glance:
- Full size metal guard used for creating that professional looking stubble or shaving close to the skin.
- Foil body shaver made from hypoallergenic foil so you don’t have to worry about irritations on those more sensitive areas of skin.
- Body comb with 10 settings so you can trim as much or as little hair from your body as you wish.
- Haircutting comb with 18 settings so you can keep the hair length and style that you prefer.
- 21mm detail trimmer gets into all those nooks and crannies that a full size trimmer can’t reach.
- 18 settings beard and mustache comb.
- Precision trimmer that trims to 21mm.
- Nose trimmer that can be used for ear and eyebrow trimming as well.
- Can be used wet or dry.
- Turbo boost rechargeable battery.
- 50 minute run time on a 1 hour charge.
- 5 minute quick charge gives you about 5 minutes of trimming time.
Let´s Take a Detailed look At Its Specs.
When you open the box, you get flooded with all the attachments it comes with.
There is an attachment for literally every part of your body from head-to tow.
Some of these may be useful and others you would probably never use.
It´s only after a few sessions of trimming and grooming you will find out your favorite ones.
Let´s run through each of these attachments to get an overview of what each can do for you and how good they are:
- Bodygroom Foil Shaver will shave all your body parts below the neck. It will not give you a very close shave but close enough. It is not advisable to press it hard on your skin to get a closer shave as it may cause some irritation.
- Mini Foil Shaver is ideal for close shaving after you have defined your beard lines.
- Nose, Ear and Eyebrow Trimmer is claimed not to pull any hair and I have not come across any unhappy users with this attachment.
- Precision Trimmer has a width of only 21mm, making it a useful tool for outlining your beard or other hard to reach areas.
- Full-Size Metal Guard Trimmer is much wider so it´s good for necklines and sideburns.
- Beard and Mustache Comb gives you 18 length settings ranging from 1mm to 18mm ( 3/64” to 23/32”) which are plenty to find just the one you need.
- Body Trimming Comb gives 10 different length settings of 3mm to 12mm (1/8” to 15/32”).
- Hair Clipping Comb can certainly provide you with a tool to tidy up your hair at home in between haircuts although I think you will need a wider clipper to do a proper cut. It gives you a choice of cutting lengths ranging from 3mm to 20mm (1/8” to 25/32”).
Tip: When using flexible guide combs, you must not apply pressure to press it on your skin as you will end up with an uneven trim.
The Philips Norelco QG3380/42 Multigroom Pro works only cordless which is a slight drawback, however, it has a quick charge function which gives you 5 minute run time after a 5 minute charge. Alternatively, if you charge it for 1 hour, it will give you 50 minutes run time which is enough for any grooming jobs.
It also comes with a turbo boost button but I must report that a general opinion of users has been that you may always need to keep it on turbo to get a good trim, especially if you have thicker hair.
It has a good ergonomic design and the angle of the trimmer head is well designed to trim even the difficult areas like trimming mustache under the nose, without giving you any blind spots. However, it may give you the feeling of plastic when you hold it.
You can conveniently shave wet or dry in the shower as it´s fully water resistant. This feature also makes it easy to clean by rinsing it under the tap to remove all the bits of hair.
It’s disappointing to see that the plastic storage case to hold the trimmer and the attachments is of a poor quality and it will occupy a lot of space in your bathroom. You will be better off using a pouch to store it.
The size of the ttimmer is 3.2 x 6.8 x 9.6 inches weighing only 1.2 pounds.
It has finely ground Chromium steel blades and the fact that they are self sharpening, will give you long lasting sharpness and efficient trimming. The users reviews have been quite favorable in this aspect. The blades as well as the combs are round edged to avoid any skin irritation.
What the Reviews Have to Say
Most reviewers find that the Norelco QG3380/42 multigroom pro meets their needs extremely well. They like the idea of having everything that they need to completely groom themselves from head to toe included in this kit.
While most users don’t see this grooming kit as perfect, they do find it to be very high quality for the price. Here are some of the advantages and disadvantages that actual users found when using this trimming kit:
- It really does have everything you will need for complete body grooming.
- Battery charges quickly and holds a charge quite well.
- Compact design.
- Easy to change accessories.
- Extremely versatile.
- Doesn’t scrape or nick the skin especially in sensitive areas.
- Easy to clean and maintain.
- The storage charging stand is made of throw away material and takes up way to much space.
- Beard trimmer doesn’t work well on really thick long beards.
- Made only for cordless use.
In most cases, users felt that Norelco QG3380/42 Multigroom Pro was highly efficient and certainly good quality for its price with many users saying that they would purchase this trimmer again. Some users did state that they wished this trimmer was designed for corded use.
Considering all the functions it can perform to complete all your beard trimming and body grooming needs, all in one device, I feel it´s a useful tool to have at home. You also get a 2 year warranty backed up by the reputable after sale service of Philips.