What Are Rosemary Oil Uses And Benefits For Hair?
Rosemary is a fragrant plant that grows in the Mediterranean regions. This plant has pine needle-like leaves from which Rosemary oil is extracted.
Rosemary and Rosemary’s oil have long been used as a herb in cooking, to treat various skin and respiratory elements and to help people achieve and maintain healthy hair and a healthy scalp.
In this article, we will look at some of the uses and benefits of Rosemary oil for hair care.
What Does Rosemary Water Do For Your Hair?
Rosemary water is made by boiling Rosemary leaves in water (pretty much like making tea).
While people use Rosemary water for a number of different things, it makes for a great hair rinse and can do wonders for your hair.
Here are just some of the things that Rosemary water can do for your hair:
- Leave it smelling fresh: The fragrant woodsy smell of the rosemary will leave your hair smelling fresh all day long.
- Darkens gray hair: If you have been noticing those strands of gray hair, then Rosemary water can darken those gray hairs and leave them less noticeable.
- Improves scalp circulation: Rosemary oil can improve scalp circulation resulting in a healthier scalp. It can also help to reduce inflammation, irritation, itchiness and dandruff.
- Removes hair product build-up: Rosemary water will remove the build-up of hair products in your hair, leaving it shinning and clean all the way through.
How Do You Use Rosemary Oil?
Rosemary oil can be used in a number of ways from cooking those flavorful meals to using it to care for your health.
Rosemary oil can help to improve memory, relieve muscle aches and pains and help to keep your skin looking its best.
There are a variety of ways you can Rosemary Oil for healthy hair including:
- As A Hot Oil Treatment: Just mix about 4 drops of Rosemary Oil into a warm carrier oil, massage it into your scalp and let it sit for about 15 or 20 minutes.
- A Rosemary Oil Hair Mask: Mix Rosemary oil with a variety of carriers oils and apply to hair and scalp. Cover with a shower cap, heat with a hairdryer and then set for 30 minutes or more before washing your hair as normal.
- Rosemary Oil as a Scalp Massage: You can apply a few drops of Rosemary oil directly to your scalp and massage it in. Using Rosemary oil as a scalp massage will help to keep your scalp healthy and encourage new hair growth.
Can Rosemary Oil Regrow Hair?
Rosemary Oil is believed to help you regrow your hair, and while more studies need to be done, there is some good evidence that Rosemary Oil can regrow hair. Here are some causes of hair loss that Rosemary Oil can actually help treat.
For starters, there is absolutely no evidence that Rosemary Oil can prevent hair loss due to chemotherapy or other drugs used to treat cancer or serious medical conditions.
What Rosemary Oil can treat includes:
- Male Patterned Baldness: There is some evidence that Rosemary Oil may help to prevent hair loss due to male patterned baldness. It is believed that this oil may bind to the hormone receptors of DHT that allows it to attack hair follicles, thus preventing hair loss.
- Hair loss due to an Unhealthy Scalp: Rosemary Oil has both anti-fungal and anti-bacterial properties which could help prevent hair loss due to an infection or an unhealthy scalp.
- Rosemary Oil is also known to increase circulation: This also leads to a healthier scalp with better blood supply, which in turn not only helps to reduce hair loss but may also help you to grow new hair.
Side Effects of Rosemary Oil
When used topically, Rosemary Oil is considered to be safe for most adults, but there are some possible side effects that you need to consider. It should be noted that you should only use Rosemary Oil when it is diluted and you should never ingest just plain Rosemary Oil.
One of the side effects of Rosemary oil is that you could have an allergic reaction to this oil, especially if you are allergic to aspirin.
In addition, Rosemary oil even used topically can penetrate the skin and make its way into your bloodstream, so you need to check with the doctor if you are on diuretics, or medication of diabetes or other types of medication as Rosemary oil may not mix well with a medication you are taking.
All in all, Rosemary Oil has many benefits and uses for your hair. Shortly, as a hair treatment, it can leave your hair and scalp healthier as well as help you to regrow your hair after certain types of hair loss.