What Are The Best Straight Razor Brands?
At one time before advances in technology, straight razors were the only style of razor available for use. People became skilled at using these almost knife like razors, getting the closest shaves known to man using a good sharp blade.
However, with newer technology straight razors fell by the wayside as safety razors and then disposable and electric razors all became the rage.
Alas, as these newer razors proved, newer isn’t necessarily better and today more and more people are returning to straight razors to get that clean shaven look with fewer shaves bumps and less razor burns.
But not the straight razors of yesteryear that needed to be constantly sharpened, instead people are turning to what is called Shavettes, straight razor handles that take single sided razor blades keeping the razor sharp and as simple as changing a razor blade.
Here are some of the best straight razor brands available today:
Table of Contents - Click To Jump Ahead
Parker SR1 Stainless Steel Straight Edge Razor
Parker has become a name to be reckoned with the world of shaving, so it is no surprise that the Parker SR1 stainless steel straight Edge razor would make the list of best straight razor blade brands. Features of this razor shavette include:
- Genuine stainless steel blade arm.
- Rounded exposure at the end of the blade compartment helps to minimize cuts.
- Snap/lock blade holder.
- Accepts barber shop single edge blades or ½ double edge blades.
- Comes with 5 shark super ½ stainless blades.
This Parker stainless steel straight edge razor may appear simple and in fact it is, which is one of the things that makes straight edge razors so appealing. While there is nothing complicated about this shavette, there is a bit of a learning curve when using to shave with this type of razor.
You can also see a nice selection of stands for your straight razor.
Users really like this straight edge shavette and give it good reviews and ratings. However, it should be noted that some users felt that the finish on this straight razor was rough instead of smooth, detracting from the overall enjoyment of shaving with this razor. Those who did like it found the following benefits:
- Well Made- Most men found that this straight razor handle was well made and easy to insert the blades into when preparing for shaving.
- Handle Provides a nice Grip- They also enjoyed the fact that this handle provided them with a nice grip when shaving. Being able to grip the handle comfortably helps to control your shave and results in less nicks and cuts.
- Close Shave- Some users were extremely surprised that this razor gave them a closer shave than even their safety razors did.
Utopia Care Stainless Steel Straight Edge Barber Razor with 100 Derby Blades
The Utopia Care Stainless Steel Straight Edge Barber razor is a simple and straightforward shavette that is well designed and has the following features:
- Stainless steel handle and blade holder.
- Comes with 100 individually wrapped Derby single edge blades.
- Will hold other blades as well as including ½ double blades by almost any company.
There really isn’t much to say about this shavette except that many modern barbers use this in place of the older style straight razors since they are easy to sterilize between shaves and instead of constantly sharpening those old style safety razors, they just pop in a new blade for each shave.
Users give this straight razor shavette extremely good reviews and ratings, feeling that it delivers the kind of shave they have been looking for.
While the majority of men think that using a straight razor does require a bit of a learning curve, they also feel that the time it takes to learn to shave with this razor is worth the effort. Benefits of it include:
- Holds Blades Securely in place-People find that once a blade is inserted into the handle, it is securely held and doesn’t wobble, making for a better control and a close shave with fewer nicks and cuts.
- Well Designed- It is well designed with just the right length and width to the handle, the way it holds the blades and its ability to give a close smooth shave.
Dovo Stainless Steel Straight Razor
The Dovo company bills this Stainless Steel Straight Razor as a beginner’s straight razor with the following features:
- Stainless steel shavette.
- Black Plastic Handle.
- Comes with a Plastic storage pouch.
- Red insert and 1 disposable blade.
- Made in Germany.
This is an extremely lightweight shavette which is designed to make it easier for beginners to learn straight edge shaving. However, the lightweight of this razor may make it less than perfect for those people who have done straight edged shaving for sometime.
It should also be noted that the blade sticks out a bit more than other brands of shavettes which for some users is a good thing and for others not so good.
Overall, this shavette gets good reviews and ratings across the board. However, some users were unhappy with the plastic handle on this razor and felt that the stainless steel was far too thin and of poor quality. People who like this razor felt it has the following benefits:
- Great For Traveling- The storage pouch and the lightweight of this razor makes it ideal to take along when traveling as it doesn’t take up much in your luggage and it won’t weigh you down if you prefer to travel as light as possible.
- Great Face Saving Shave- Several users stated that this razor gave them a nice close comfortable shave with fewer shaving bumps and no or almost no razor burn so that their face felt great all day.
Overall, the majority of people who tried these shavettes really liked them and felt that they had found the best straight razor blade brands available.